~Crys

6/12/2008

From the mind of a goat-herd

Its strange, the places God chooses to speak to me.
This time it was when I was shuffling through grass tall enough to tickle my armpits
It was my turn to herd the goats, a grueling job even when they're not hidden behind a curtain of premature hay.
The task is always frustrating. The goats -being very clever but not worrying about saving the world or anything- had their eyes on one single thing. FOOD. And not always the best food either. Mostly the easiest to get to.
They don't know when danger is coming, or when they've wandered away from their water source. or that there are better vittles just at the other side of the field.
That's what I'm they're for, to watch out and make sure they stay out of the road.
So, when my girls drift further than they should, Its my responsibility to guide them back to the safe zone.
Anyone whose ever had to deal with any number of goats should have let out a sympathetic sigh for my just now.
Goats aren't known for obedience. If they know you want to do something, they'll do the exact opposite just to bug you, then turn and look at you like you're an idiot.
There are a few tricks I've learned in the job of goat herding.
The first involves a stick (or rod, staff, cane, whatever you can find). A gentle tap of the stick to any hide can produce a fair amount of movement. A nice whack if the nice approach doesn't work.'There's also the running-while-making-loud-noises approach (but that can get pretty embarrassing, so I personally try to avoid it...). Or you can simply pick up one of the kids (AKA baby goat) its mom will follow wherever you want.
Its the same with God. He knows where i need to be and that its not where I am now. Sometimes the gentle tactics work, but I have a lot in common with my goats. I can't see over the grass in my life. I have no idea where I am or whats going on, but he does. He wants to guide me to a better place.
Sometimes it hurts and confuses, but he knew it would. He also knows that's exactly what I need to get me moving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home